How to join part files in linux and windows.

Hi guys, after long time thought of compiling a post about something we all need in our day to day life.
Most of my friends ask me every time how to join movie part files. So I thought summing that up will be useful for those who need guidance.
Many movie download sites, forums now upload movies as part files. Since it's easy to upload smaller size parts than larger files. Not only movies, some softwares and games too come in part files. Since I prefer direct download than torrents I dedicate this to all my direct download fans out there.

There are many video formats exist on line as mkv, mp4, avi, rmvb..etc. I prefer mkv much since it supports small size and high quality.
Part files can be found as .001-00* or part1.rar-part*.rar format.
ex-
avatar.mkv.001.....004
avatar.avi.001....004
or
avatar.part1.rar....part4.rar

these files can be split to many number of parts, not only 4. :)

In windows

If it's a rar file you can use WinRAR

or 7-Zip to join them.

If it's a .001 file you can use HJ-Split to join them.


make sure all your part files exist in the same folder.

In linux

If it's a rar file you can simply wright click and choose “extract to”. Then it will extract them into a single file.
Or you can use 7-Zip to join them.

If it's a .001 file -
if you are a command line addict you can use your terminal to join them. :)
ex-
cat avatar.mkv.00* > avatar.mkv

or

you can install lx-split (a command line tool) to join files.

or if you like GUI much then you can install HJ-Split for linux.

make sure all your part files exist in the same folder.

Enjoy joining part files. :)
If there's any doubt do not hesitate to ask me.

Adios....




Comments

  1. shouldn't the command

    "cat avatar.mkv.001 > avatar.mkv"

    be changed as

    "cat avatar.mkv.00* > avatar.mkv"

    So that the every piece is joined into one file...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @කැන්ඩි.. yes FFSJ is also a good part file joiner. I put HJ-Split since it can be used in both windows and linux. Thankx. :)

    For those who like FFSJ use the below link-

    http://j.mp/94C4nC

    ReplyDelete
  3. @hamparawa, Thankx for the correction. I appreciate letting me know my mistakes. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Google Plus or Face Book?